Honey Bee Flower Seed Mix
- Seed Count:
- Approx 200-300 seeds per pack
- Annual and Perennial
- Days to Germination:
- Germination times will vary
- Plant on soil surface, covering very lightly
- Heirloom, Non-Hybrid, Non-GMO seeds
Honey Bee Flower Mix
A carefully chosen, hand-selected blend of 19 annual and perennial flowers that provide both nectar and pollen to honey bees. These flowers are proven favorites of honey bees in our gardens and will provide bee forage all season long. They have the added benefit of being strong attractants for all kinds of pollinators, but especially honey bees and other honey making bees.
Nectar is an important energy source of carbohydrates, supplying a complex range of sugars to keep the energy levels high, while pollen is a vital source of protein and fats. It is critical, but often misunderstood, to provide both pollen and nectar to pollinators.
All bees need pollen at one stage of their life or another, but only the females can collect it as they have the pollen baskets on their legs and the males do not. The nectar is gathered by all and brought back to the hive where it is fed to the adult bees, with extra nectar being deposited into honeycomb cells and becomes honey as excess moisture is evaporated off. This honey is the winter food source for the hive, when there is no nectar available outside.
Ideal for honey bee keepers and anyone interested in honey bee health, this mix is specifically selected with flowers that thrive in a wide range of climates, elevations and moisture conditions. The flower varieties have also been chosen based on their blooming period, so that there is nectar and pollen available early to late season to nourish and sustain honey bees and other pollinators. Ideal for garden beds, borders, and other maintained areas.
What's in the mix
Common Name and Genus/Species
- Cape Forget-Me-Not - Anchusa capensis
- New England Aster - Aster novae-angliae
- White Upland Aster - Aster ptarmicoides
- China Aster - Callistephus chinensis
- Siberian Wallflower - Cheiranthus allionii
- Lance-Leaved Coreopsis - Coreopsis lanceolate
- Sulphur Cosmos - Cosmos sulphureus
- Chinese Forget-Me-Not - Cynoglossum amabile
- Purple Prairie Clover - Dalea purpurea
- Purple Coneflower - Echinacea purpurea
- California Poppy - Eschscholzia californica
- Blanketflower - Gaillardia aristata
- Corn Poppy - Papaver rhoeas
- Rocky Mountain Penstemon - Penstemon strictus
- Lacy Phacelia - Phacelia tanacetifolia
- Scarlet Cinquefoil - Potentilla thurberi
- Prairie Coneflower - Ratibida columnifera
- Sweet Mignonette - Reseda odorata
- French Marigold - Tagetes patula
From the soil to the seed to the food you eat - we'll help you grow your best garden!