Honey Bee Flower Seed Mix
- Seed Count:
- Approx 200-300 seeds per pack
- Heirloom, Non-Hybrid, Non-GMO seeds
A carefully chosen, hand-selected blend of 19 annual and perennial flowers that provide both nectar and pollen to honey bees. These flowers are proven favorites of honey bees in our gardens and will provide bee forage all season long. They have the added benefit of being strong attractants for all kinds of pollinators, but especially honey bees and other honey making bees.
Nectar is an important energy source of carbohydrates, supplying a complex range of sugars to keep the energy levels high, while pollen is a vital source of protein and fats. It is critical, but often misunderstood, to provide both pollen and nectar to pollinators.
All bees need pollen at one stage of their life or another, but only the females can collect it as they have the pollen baskets on their legs and the males do not. The nectar is gathered by all and brought back to the hive where it is fed to the adult bees, with extra nectar being deposited into honeycomb cells and becomes honey as excess moisture is evaporated off. This honey is the winter food source for the hive, when there is no nectar available outside.
Ideal for honey bee keepers and anyone interested in honey bee health, this mix is specifically selected with flowers that thrive in a wide range of climates, elevations and moisture conditions. The flower varieties have also been chosen based on their blooming period, so that there is nectar and pollen available early to late season to nourish and sustain honey bees and other pollinators. Ideal for garden beds, borders, and other maintained areas.
Approx 200-300 seeds per pack
Annual and perennial mix
GENUS/SPECIES and COMMON NAME
- Anchusa capensis - Cape Forget-Me-Not
- Aster novae-angliae - New England Aster
- Aster ptarmicoides - White Upland Aster
- Callistephus chinensis - China Aster
- Cheiranthus allionii - Siberian Wallflower
- Coreopsis lanceolate - Lance-Leaved Coreopsis
- Cosmos sulphureus - Sulphur Cosmos
- Cynoglossum amabile - Chinese Forget-Me-Not
- Dalea purpurea - Purple Prairie Clover
- Echinacea purpurea - Purple Coneflower
- Eschscholzia californica - California Poppy
- Gaillardia aristata - Blanketflower
- Papaver rhoeas - Corn Poppy
- Penstemon strictus - Rocky Mountain Penstemon
- Phacelia tanacetifolia - Lacy Phacelia
- Potentilla thurberi - Scarlet Cinquefoil
- Ratibida columnifera - Prairie Coneflower
- Reseda odorata - Sweet Mignonette
- Tagetes patula - French Marigold