Monarch Butterfly Flower Seed Mix
- Seed Count:
- Approx 200 -300 seeds per pack
- Approx 16 square feet
- Annual and Perennial
- Days to Germination:
- Germination times will vary
- Plant on soil surface, covering very lightly
- Heirloom, Non-Hybrid, Non-GMO seeds
Monarch Butterfly Flower Mix
Our Monarch Butterfly Mix is essential in supporting the needs of these incredible butterflies – both with nectar sources to feed the adults and milkweed host plants for them to lay their eggs on. To be successful in attracting all butterflies, and especially Monarchs, to your garden you need a combination of both nectar and host plants, as both male and female butterflies have different needs with nectar but will often converge where there are host plants.
Monarchs utilize the milkweed species exclusively as host plants, as the caterpillar ingests the toxins in the milkweed, making itself poisonous to most predators. This is the only plant that provides for these needs.
Flower nectar provides both energy and re-hydration for butterflies. Most flower nectar is about 20% sucrose, a natural sugar, and 80% water, an important energy source of carbohydrates, supplying a complex range of sugars to keep the energy levels high. Butterflies “taste” through their feet when they land on a flower!
One seed packet will generously plant approximately 16 square feet – a 4x4 foot space.
What's in the mix
Common Name and Genus/Species
- Butterfly Milkweed - Asclepias tuberosa
- Smooth Aster - Aster laevis
- Siberian Wallflower - Cheiranthus allionii
- Cosmos - Cosmos bipinnatus
- Sulphur Cosmos - Cosmos sulphureus
- Purple Coneflower - Echinacea purpurea
- Indian Blanket - Gaillardia pulchella
- Annual Baby's Breath - Gypsophila elegans
- Annual Candytuft - Iberis umbellata
- Gayfeather - Liatris spicata
- Sweet Alyssum - Lobularia maritima
- Single Marigold - Tagetes patula
- Hoary Vervain - Verbena stricta
- Zinnia - Zinnia elegans
The best times to plant is spring, early summer and fall.
From the soil to the seed to the food you eat - we'll help you grow your best garden!